At KS4 students have the option to take one of two workshop based subjects:
- GCSE Resistant Materials
- BTEC Level 1 Certificate in Construction
GCSE Resistant Materials is a design based subject that covers the following areas:
- Unit A561 – Introduction to Designing and Making
- Unit A563 – Making Quality Products
- Unit A565 – Sustainability and Technical Aspects of Designing and Making
Units A561 & A563 are controlled assignments that the students will complete during their lessons, in which they have the opportunity to design and make a product using the tools and equipment in the College's workshops, out of a combination of wood, metal and plastic. Unit A565 is an examination that the students will take at the end of Year 11.
BTEC Level 1 Certificate in Construction is a practically based subject that covers a number of areas of the construction industry. Some of the units currently being covered are:
- Unit 1 – Producing a Timber Product
- Unit 12 – Developing Construction Drawing Skills
- Unit 14 – Developing Carpentry Skills
- Unit 15 – Developing Joinery Skills
Each unit is assessed through the production of a portfolio of evidence, including products, observations, presentations and posters, that is internally verified.